Marina near Rødvig

Last edited 25.05.2023 at 19:43 by Hartmut Pflughaupt, Ratokker III


55° 15’ 8.3” N


12° 22’ 29.2” E


Busy fishing and marina about 3.5 nm southwest of Stevns Lighthouse at the east exit of Faxe Bay - popular stopover on the way to or from Copenhagen.

NV Cruising Guide


The approach to the harbour is possible day and night.

Caution: the many nets on both sides of the harbour approach sometimes reach very far out to sea (e.g. south of Fællesskov 0.7sm). With a heading from northwest to north, you can get well clear of the nets.

Good landmarks are the white limestone cliffs of Stevns Klint and the yellow packing house at the harbour.


Guests moor in the marina, at 1.5 - 3.2m water depth. Further mooring possibilities on green marked places in the shipyard and fishing harbour (water depth 2 - 3m). The fishermen's piers must remain free.


The port is excellently developed. Supermarket, a gas station and extensive shipyard services are available. Further supply possibilities one finds in the nearby place.

NV Land Guide

The chalk cliffs of Stevns cannot be compared with the mighty chalk cliffs of Møn, but they are also an impressive natural experience. After all, the 15-kilometre-long break-off edge is up to 40 metres high. It begins northeast of Rødvig and ends two kilometres before the nearest marina, Bøgeskov. The main attraction of this cliff formation is the church of Højerup, four kilometres northeast of the harbour, which has partly fallen into the sea. A fisherman is said to be to thank for the cliff church. He had vowed in distress at sea to build a chapel on the white rocks if he escaped with his life. He was saved.

In 1350, about 100 years later, the chapel had already been made into a church, but underestimated the destructive power of the sea, which undermined the rock and the foundation of the church. It did not help the church that, according to legend, it took a cock step inland every Christmas to escape the impending abyss. During a spring storm in 1928, the choir plummeted.

What was preserved is now secured for a limited time by a concrete base. Because it was expected that the entire church would fall into the sea at the turn of the century, a new chalk church with a chalk-walled pulpit had been built 100 metres inland beforehand.

Two other reasons speak for a trip to the plateau near the rock church. One is the Stevns Museum, and the other is a fishing lodge furnished in 18th-century style. The museum displays complete ropemakers', wainwrights' and coopers' workshops as well as the old Stevns costumes and relics from the Battle of Køge Bay in 1677 (see Køge). These include an old cannon and an anchor from the navy. The old fishermen's cottage can unfortunately only be visited daily in July (except Sundays). A cafe and snack bar are located near the church and museum.

Midway there, you pass the former lime quarry at Boesdal. Relics of the Cold War can be experienced at Stevnsfort Museum, which once housed nuclear-safe spy facilities on the front line.

Originally (around 1850) the cosy little town of Rødvig was a stacking yard for the Gjorslev estate. The fishing and seafaring town grew so quickly after the harbour was built that it received a railway connection as early as 1875, and has been the terminus of the East Jælland Railway ever since. Today Rødvig is the second largest fishing port on Zealand.

The skipper Asmus Larsen is to thank for Rødvig's landmark, the flint kiln. Larsen had seen that the "Alumenia" factory in Copenhagen was importing French flint flour to glaze their earthenware. Because he thought that the flint from the Stevns cliffs was just as suitable for this purpose, he built a flint kiln in 1870 and successfully exported the flint flour to Copenhagen.

Unfortunately, the owner of the kiln had the cultural monument demolished in 1980, after a dispute with the city council. But the subsequently established foundation "Rødvig Flintovn" had the kiln rebuilt in the parking lot diagonally across from the marina and set up as a museum.

In 1987, fisherman Orla Rasmusen had the offbeat idea of founding a ship engine museum and put his intention into practice with the help of donations. Among the exhibits at the fledgling museum in Havnevej is a 19hp "Tuxham" from 1938, which was powered by kerosene. To demonstrate the functions vividly, the engines are also started.

Store Heddinge, some seven kilometres north of Rødvig, is the capital of Stevns County. The town's bombastic church is the only one in the north with an octagonal nave. The fortress-like building, dating from around 1200, makes it clear that places of worship also had to serve as defensive fortifications in the past. The secret chambers inside the church housed the church treasure and, according to legend, were inhabited by the king of the chalk cliffs. On the side wall, next to which Northern Europe's largest hanging beech stands, the stone head of a monk commemorates his murder. The monk had insisted on building a church on the burial ground of a noble family. The noble family settled the problem in their own way. The park-like pleasure garden of the town was laid out in 1891 by well-to-do citizens as a private garden. The water tower at this now public site is often mistaken for a town gate because of its fancy architectural style.

Midway between Rødvig and Store Heddinge lies the village of Lille Heddinge, which is well worth seeing. Here, a school museum with old school furniture has been set up in the Rytterskole (riding school). There is also an art collection by the painter Niels Larsen Stevns. The restored Lille Heddinge mill (1874) was built mainly from driftwood from ships that sank in the great storm tide of 1872. An old, intact farm smithy can be visited at Østervang, Broveshøjvej 19, near Lille Heddinge.

Vemmetofte, a former convent for unmarried noblewomen, lies about ten kilometres west of Rødvig. The beautiful main building is surrounded by a park open to the public. If you want to see all the sights, it's best to rent a bike from "Pingo" in the main street (Howedsgaden) or use the free Stevnsbussen, which leaves Rødvig three times a day in July and August.

Marina Information


Phone +45 56 50 69 54
Email Please enable Javascript to read
Website http://roedvigfiskerihavn.dk
















Public Transport




Hartmut Pflughaupt, Ratokker III
Keine Heckpfähle an der südöstlichen Pier im Jachthafen
25.05.2023 19:43
Hartmut Pflughaupt, Ratokker III
WC und Dusche befinden sich auch in dem L-förmigen Gebäude nördlich des Jachthafens. Das Hafenbüro befindet sich in dem Gebäude nördlich der Werft. Der Hafengeldautomat befindet sich an der Südostecke des langgestreckten Gebäudes nördlich des Fischereihafens. Im mit "Kiosk" bezeichneten Gebäude befindet sich ein Restaurant.
25.05.2023 17:30
Martina / Martin Teterra, CONZISKA
Angenehme Marina, nette Leute in der Saison sehr voll - Viererpäckchen normal
11.06.2022 16:33

You can add comments with the NV Charts App (Windows - iOS - Android - Mac OSX).
You can download the current version at nvcharts.com/app.

Buy nv charts covering this place Clicking one of the products will open the nv charts shop.

Places nearby