Stralsund Dänholm Kanal
Marina near Stralsund (Dänholm)
Latitude54° 18’ 17.6” N
Longitude13° 7’ 21” E
Ancient port and Hanseatic city on the western shore of the Strelasund.
NV Cruising Guide
The approach is possible by day and night via the well buoyed and lit Strelasund fairway. The Ziegelgraben bridge, located in the south of the seaport, is open at fixed times. North and south of the Ziegelgraben bridge there are 5 dolphins each as waiting berths. The passage between the middle and east pier from buoy 54 with 180° is recommended for pleasure boats coming from the north.
Opening times Bascule bridge Ziegelgraben:
daily. 05:20 - 08:20 - 12:20 - 15:20 - 17:20 - 21:30, keep minimum distance 100m to bridge until clearance signal
Stralsund Traffic VHF channel 67 - Stralsund Port: VHF channel 11 and +49 (0)3831/299662 or 0179/9808631
Access is only possible, via a channel, from the southeast (water depth 2.3m).
South-east of the Ziegelgraben bridge lies the largest Stralsund marina (YC Strelasund) in the Dänholm canal (see plan "pictures worth seeing"). Access is only possible from the southeast (water depth 2.3m).
The supply possibilities in the city area itself are good. The berths in the Citymarina offer good sanitary facilities in the harbour house and at jetty no. 8. The old Hanseatic city has a great many sights to offer, including the German Oceanographic Museum, the Ozeaneum and the House of the Mariner's Company.
NV Land Guide
Today's cityscape is still dominated by the Gothic monumental buildings visible from afar from the water. The city boasts over 40 cultural-historical monuments, including cathedrals and monastery churches.
Shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall, Stralsund found excellently maintained medieval architecture on the one hand and neglected old building fabric on the other. Today, the city has put its architectural treasures of past centuries in the best possible light: Here rises an appealingly renovated gabled house there the exemplary renewed facade of an old warehouse. Since 2002, Stralsund's historic old town has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List together with Wismar.
The city's important role in its heyday, when it belonged to the Wendish area of the Hanseatic League, can be seen from the fact that it was the site of negotiations between the Hanseatic League and Denmark at the "Peace of Stralsund" in 1370. And the importance of its preserved old town parts can be appreciated especially after a historical excursion to the cultural-historical museum. That's why we recommend a visit to the museum as a starter, a tour of the city as the main course and a visit to selected sights as dessert.
So first to the starter at the corner of Mönch-Strasse and Katharinenberg, where you learn that Prince Jaromar II of Rügen had a hand in founding the town. He donated a plot of land to Dominican monks on what is now the western edge of Stralsund's old town and paid for the construction of what was initially a modest monastery complex, which grew more and more as the power and wealth of the Black Monks increased. In contrast, the Franciscans who later settled on the outskirts of the city were called the "Grey Monks". While the "Blacks" from St. Catherine's Monastery had a strong influence on science and politics, the "Greys" from St. John's Monastery took a closer look at the Bible's word of charity. They devoted themselves above all to the care of the poor and the sick. In 1234, Prince Witzlaw I issued what is now the oldest document in the town: The town charter. After Stralsund joined the Hanseatic League (1293), whose fleet had raided Stralsund 50 years before, the church had to take a back seat in favour of the merchant class. Nevertheless, there was something like an alliance of convenience between the two. In 1525, however, the Reformation put a spoke in the monks' wheel, the Catholics fled and the monasteries became the property of the city. Shortly afterwards, the city council allowed the Birgitine nuns to occupy St. Catherine's Convent. In 1560 the three parishes of St. Nicholas, St. Jacobi and St. Mary became schools and orphanages.
In 1628 imperial troops under Albrecht von Wallenstein laid siege to the city. Fearing a victory by Wallenstein, Mayor Lambert Steinwich concluded an alliance treaty with the Swedes. The Swedish king Gustav Adolf II came, saw, conquered and was celebrated. But soon the people of Stralsund were to feel the transformation of their liberators into exploiters. Before that, the decline of the Hanseatic League had already extraordinarily weakened Stralsund's economic position. The hinterland awarded to the Swedes in the Peace of Westphalia was too small to provide any economic impetus. Stralsund's star sank in the 18th century. The rule of the Swedes lasted until the beginning of 1800. Napoleon's troops marched into Stralsund in 1807. For a short time Major Ferdinand von Schill was able to liberate the town, but he fell when Napoleon's troops came again and defeated his army of freedom fighters. On the spot where the bullet struck him down in Ferry Street, there is now a stone slab with his name on it. His death mask is kept in the museum and in Sarnowstrasse he stands cast in bronze with his sabre drawn.
After his death, the major became one of the most popular men of the German struggle for freedom because he not only proclaimed military victory over the French but also demanded liberation from feudal conditions. This linked him to Ernst Moritz Arndt, the spokesman for German unity who was born in Groß Schoritz on the island of Rügen, and whose writings and books are on display in the Stralsund Museum.
While Stralsund was already a powerful maritime trading town in Hanseatic times, the museum documents that the fleet of Stralsund ships reached its highest number in 1878 with 219 seagoing vessels. Visitors can learn even more about the great age of sailing in the House of the Shipping Company. The building at Frankestraße 9 with its classicist gable houses numerous ship models. In the assembly room, the captains of galleasses, barques and full-rigged ships once sat and embellished (often after years at sea) their tales of the great voyage with adventures both real and invented.
In the sumptuous living rooms, the flagships of a new lifestyle, hung the captains' pictures. Mostly they were painted by seamen who were keen on faithful reproductions of the ships. The captains' pictures in the museum bear witness to this pronounced love of detail. There are also paintings by Caspar David Friedrich, Friedrich Preller, Elisabeth Büchsel and many other well-known artists. Traditional costumes, furniture and doll's houses are just some of the other exhibits.
Who knows exactly what a faceted axe, a pile-dwelling urn or a suspended basin with a swirling ornament is. At any rate, we won't tell, and point you to the museum's prehistoric and early historic exhibit, which features a range of fascinating pieces, from pre-Christian stone tools to Bronze and Iron Age finds. For historians, the area around Stralsund is a veritable treasure trove. The museum holds the unimaginable number of 50,000 finds. Many more sites are known but have not yet been examined in detail.
Time is turned back many thousands of years in the museum. All those who made a name for themselves between Cape Arkona, Wismar and Stettin even before the beginning of the millennium or in the first millennium after it - the Germanic tribes, the Slavs, the Vikings - are considered. To stay with those mentioned: Large parts of the Germanic population left this coastal area in the 4th century. There was no war with the Slavs who followed, in a peaceful process the Slavs took the remaining Germanic tribes into their ranks. Given the frequent warlike conflicts, this is a process worth mentioning, especially since the Danes and later the German and Polish princes gave the Slavs a hard time in numerous battles.
It was especially the Slavic tribe of the Ranen that built up a maritime trading centre on Rügen that was hardly inferior to the later Haithabu of the Vikings on the Schlei (see Ralswiek). This is proven by the remains of three large Slavic boats and impressive gold finds. The Slavs received the gold in exchange for amber, among other things. The "gold of the sea" was highly prized in Central Europe.
Against the clumsy cog, the slender Slavic boats were the purest of regatta vessels. But the belly of the hulking vessels held many times their cargo. According to the presumed motto of the big merchants, that much also brings much, the bulky merchant ship started its triumphal procession. As early as 1276, Stralsund received permission to set up its own stalls at the trading places in Scania (see also Skanør). Branches in Norway follow. A good 100 years later, the city already counts 20 shipyards where the cogs are built. The "boatmakers" became the uncrowned kings of the city. On the town seal of those days, which can be seen in the museum, the cog is emblazoned. So much for the museum and the history of the town, which once lay on an island and did not become Prussian until 1815.
We have already met the Katharinenkloster monastery as the seat of Stralsund's museums. Founded by the Dominicans in 1251, it houses not only the aforementioned cultural history museum, but also still the maritime museum. It boasts one of the largest European aquariums for tropical fish. Two of the exhibition themes are "The Sea as a Habitat" and "Fisheries".
An outstanding Gothic brick building (first phase of construction: 13th century) is the town hall on the market square with its impressive display front. It is also considered one of the most beautiful secular buildings of the North German brick Gothic. The Nikolai Church near the town hall, built around 1300, is said to have a similar reputation. With its panel painting and other art treasures, it also has special "inner values", including the astronomical clock from 1394. And even at the town hall, not everything that glitters is just a façade. An impressive passage leads right through the middle of the Gothic building. To the right and left of the passage, a gallery is supported by columns. A few metres away from the Rathausgang, the city's coat of arms from the Swedish era hangs on the west portal of the Rathaus.
Thus, on the Alter Markt, the historic houses press up against the mighty Nikolai Church and almost seem as if they had sought shelter from the city planners all these years. By the way, the Nikolai Church has only one spire, despite two towers, because both spires burned down in 1662, but when it was rebuilt in 1667, there were only enough funds for a new baroque dome.
You don't have to look far for breaks in style on the market either, which is by no means only due to the SED era. For example, the break in style on the façade of the Wulflamhaus, Alter Markt 5, has already made history. The upper part of the front dates from the 15th century, the substructure visibly from 1928.
The Johanniskloster, which was hit by bombs in 1945, north of the Alter Markt on Schillstraße, is intended as a ruin memorial to the senselessness of war. On certain days, the complex, which also serves as a setting for concerts, is open to visitors. Also worth seeing are the forecourts of the St. Johannis monastery.
Only a few of the corridors like those found in Lübeck remain in Stralsund. The Wichmannsgang is one of them. It leads to the Wiekhaus on the Frankenwall, built around 1300 as a shuttering tower (defensive structure open to the city side) and later converted into a tower. Around the tower were the poor and "social housing" of the Middle Ages. On Neuer Markt near St. Mary's Church, the row of houses on the south side gives an idea of what the buildings looked like here. Böttcherstrasse 23, now a gallery, is an example of the city's warehouses. A restored representative of Gothic town houses is the building at Frankestraße 29.
Exemplary for the once typical oriels (or utluchten) is house No. 22. Between Neuer Markt and Alter Markt, the characteristic gabled house development is still partly present, especially in Mönch-, Ossenreyer- and Mühlenstraße. The gabled houses in Fährstraße are also worth seeing. The important scientist Carl Wilhelm Scheele, the discoverer of oxygen and nitrogen, was born here in house number 13. The reconstructed hallway of the house at Fährstraße 24 shows how gabled houses once lived.
On the way through Mönchstraße, a detour into Heiliggeiststraße to the Kütertor, built in 1446, is recommended. In the one-storey half-timbered house next to the western town gate once sat the gate scribe, who in the Middle Ages monitored the movement of goods and people.
The most important building in Mühlenstraße is the Kampinsche Hof, built in 1257, town domicile of the Neuenkamp monastery, today called Franzburg. The house with its remarkable portals was later a Swedish military magazine and salt store. Even today it is therefore also called "Solthoff ".
A part of the city wall was rebuilt at the Knieper Wall and thus gives an idea of the effort that was made in the 13th and 14th centuries to arm themselves against attacks. Town gates like the Knieper Gate were the only loopholes. Stralsund was already difficult to capture because of its island location. The surrounding water areas - the Frankenteich, the Knieperteich, the Moor Pond and the Binnenwasser - offered protection from enemies. Today, the Knieperteich with its water fountain is a recreational area for the people of Stralsund, not to mention the "white bridges".
At the seaport, the red building of the harbour office is worth seeing, a well-preserved, tower-like brick building erected in 1910 as a royal pilot watch. The substructure was built as early as 1840 as part of a weir system.
In 2008, the Ozeaneum was founded at Hansakai, a maritime museum with numerous special exhibitions, which is really worth seeing and has also already been awarded European Museum of the Year 2010.
|Max Depth||2.3 m|
|Berth Width||4 m|
|Berth Length||0 m|
|Phone||+49 3831 297300|
You can add comments with the NV Charts App (Windows - iOS - Android - Mac OSX).
You can download the current version at nvcharts.com/app.
Buy nv charts covering this place Clicking one of the products will open the nv charts shop.
NV Atlas Kartenkoffer Ostsee Serie 1, 2, 3, 4 NV Verlag / NV Charts249,00 € incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
NV Plano Kartenkoffer Ostsee Serie 1, 2, 3, 4 NV Verlag / NV Charts249,00 € incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
NV Atlas Serie 4 Rund Rügen - Boddengewässer - Stettin NV Verlag / NV Charts74,99 € incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
NV Ostsee Plotterseekarten NV Verlag / NV Charts129,99 € incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
NV Pilot 1, Planungskarte Ostsee - Kristiansand bis Helsinki NV Verlag / NV Charts24,99 € incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
NV Serie 4 Plano Rund Rügen - Boddengewässer - Stettin NV Verlag / NV Charts74,99 € incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
This location is included in the following regions of the BoatView harbour guide: